Balkan Essentials – 10 days: Serbia – Bosnia & Herzegovina – Montenegro – Croatia
Belgrade – Bohemian quarter
Upon arrival in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, you will be welcomed by your Tour Manager and escorted to your hotel. When you get into your coach, just relax and meet New Belgrade within a short drive from Nikola Tesla Airport to your hotel. You’ll see prominent Belgrade’s blocks, classic example of Socialistic architecture, built after World War II, and modern business centers among which Usce Center surely predominates. During the drive enjoy the image and stories about Western Gate of Belgrade, famous Belgrade Arena and monumental Palace of Serbia. Check-in at your hotel. Free time.
After some rest in the hotel, prepare yourself for a traditional Serbian dinner in Skadarlija – Bohemian heart of Belgrade. It’s well-known that the best tourist attraction of Serbia is local food accompanied by traditional music. Try out numerous local specialties and take a chance to get to know each other during pleasant dinner in authentic restaurant. Return to the hotel and overnight.
After breakfast, start coach & walking tour around Belgrade, capital that is well known for its various architectural styles, dynamic history and fantastic views of one of the biggest river confluence in the whole Europe. Start the tour visiting Yugoslav History Museum, memorial complex devoted to life and deeds of Josip Broz Tito, political leader of Yugoslavia. Then you will pass by the stadium of FC Red Star, former European and World Cup champion, and proceed to Saint Sava Temple, symbol and patron of Belgrade, impressive building that can be seen from any part of the capital. After a short break at the Temple’s plateau, panoramic tour will go on to Slavija Square, Saint Mark’s Church, Serbian National Parliament and White Palace, all to the Republic Square, most central point of Belgrade that is surrounded by cultural institutions such as the National Theatre and National Museum. Go on with a walking tour through lively Knez Mihailo Street, main walking and shopping zone, and visit the Orthodox Cathedral, just across The Building of Patriarchate. Hear great stories about “Question Mark – ?”, the oldest tavern in the city, and continue to Kalemegdan Park and Belgrade Fortress, the most important cultural-historic complex of the city, situated on the confluence of the rivers Sava and Danube.
Belgrade – Zlatibor – Sargan 8 – Wooden-town
Breakfast and check-out. Morning departure from Belgrade and drive toward Western Serbia via picturesque Ovcar-Kablar Canyon that extends above meanders of the Western Morava River. Upon arrival at famous Zlatibor Mountain, first Royal resort in Serbia, enjoy a relaxing walk around the town center of this prominent air spa.
Afterwards you will proceed to Tara National Park and contemplate the beauties from authentic, retro and the most popular Balkan train, Sargan 8 Railway. Expect a drive in a train that travels from the bottom of Sargan mountain, on a way that is formed in the shape of number eight. At the beginning of the 20th century it used to be a part of the railway from Belgrade to Sarajevo. Journey on retro-train called “Nostalgy” will bring you back to past and will let you enjoy mountain sceneries and numerous tunnels and viaducts.
Enjoy breathtaking nature and arrive at Ethno-village “Wooden Town” or Drvengrad that was built by prominent movie director Emir Kusturica. All the objects, including Mecavnik Hotel, apartment houses, galleries, shops, cinema and churches are made of natural materials, mostly from wood. Since the traditional film festival “Kustendorf” is held here, Wooden Town had an honor to accommodate biggest movie stars: Johnny Depp, Monica Belucci, Jim Jarmusch and many others. In the inexperienced silence of the mountain Mokra Gora, you will enjoy traditional Serbian food during the dinner. Overnight.
Visegrad – Sarajevo
Breakfast and check-out. The tour continues to Bosnia and Herzegovina and a short drive leads you towards Visegrad, where Emir Kusturica used his imagination and creativity to build Andricgrad or the “Stone Town”. It is a cultural center with numerous buildings and facilities built on the banks of Drina River nearby the famous Bridge (monument under the protection of the UNESCO). Bridge was described in the title of novel by Nobel prized writer Ivo Andric “The Bridge on the Drina”. In his honor Kusturica’s town was called Andricgrad (Adric’s town). In Andricgrad you will take a break. During the break you may order a lunch in unusual restaurant called “Zlatna moruna”, the interior of which is decorated with frescoes by a well-known artist Biseniya Tereshchenko.
Upon the sightseeing expect a drive to Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia & Herzegovina, and check-in at the hotel. After a short rest Sarajevo sightseeing tour will start covering all the main sights: Building of Vijecnica or the City Assembly finished during the Austro-Hungarian period, old downtown of the city called Bashcharshiya, historical and cultural center of Sarajevo with authentic shops and souqs from the Ottoman era, Orthodox Church from the 16th century, Gazi Husrev-bey mosque, Sahat Tower from the 17th century and the first public toilette in Europe. Then you go on to Latin Bridge where Gavrilo Princip shot the successor to the Austro-Hungarian throne Franz Ferdinand which caused the beginning of the World War I, and afterword you will get to Bezistan, market complex from the 16th century, and then to the main pedestrian zone Ferdahiya with the Synagogue from 1580 and Catholic Cathedral from 1881. Return to the hotel and overnight.
Mostar – Blagaj – Trebinje
Breakfast and check-out. Drive and arrival at one of the most beautiful cities of the Balkan Peninsula, Mostar. During the walking tour around it you will visit the symbol of this city, Balkan TOP 10 and the most photographed sight in the country – Old Bridge (UNESCO protected monument). You will then proceed to Koski Mehmed pasa Mosque, the Crooked Bridge and old tanner’s quarter Tabhana. Free time in Mostar for getting a lunch at the bank of the Neretva River, with amazing view of the bridge that rises above you.
The excursion continues at Blagaj (monument is on the tentative UNESCO list), old town from the 15th century where Kosaca noble family ruled. Also Blagaj was the crib of Islam of today’s Bosnia and Herzegovina, when dervish Sari Satluk built a khanqah at the river-head of Buna. During a short tour, enjoy the view of the Monastery located in a fairy-tale environment, beneath the cliffs on the shores of the emerald green river Buna.
The next destination of the day is Trebinje, picturesque town with a wonderful mix of sights that origin from different cultures. Start a tour with a visit to artists’ and photographers’ dream Arslanagica Bridge. This stone bridge and its peaceful atmosphere will bring you 400 years back in time. During leisure walk through narrow streets of the old town you’ll see most important sites of Trebinje, on your way to “Poet’s Market” where you can sit under 115 year old trees which are the symbol of the town. In this beautiful town, Emir Kusturica, world famous movie director, made one of his last movies with Monica Belluci featuring the leading role. Overnight in the hotel.
Perast – Kotor – Dubrovnik
Breakfast and check-out. This day is devoted to Republic of Montenegro, country that boasts of rich heritage and immense natural beauty. Bay of Kotor with its unique landscape is a must-see location for more than 500 cruisers during a year. On the way to marvelous Kotor you will make a stop at the town of Perast, little settlement in baroque style. From Perast you’ll start a relaxing boat ride along Boka Kotorska Bay to picturesque island of Our Lady of the Rock. This manmade Island hosts a church with valuable paintings of local artists, silver votive tablets and a famous votive tapestry.
After the boat ride you will get to Kotor, old Mediterranean town that dates back to the 12th and 14th century, and have a walking tour around this UNESCO site with prominent sights: St. Nicolas and St. Luke Church, Cathedral of St. Tryphon and other cultural monuments. In Kotor you’ll have free time to wander around the old bricked town, or take a lunch at one of romantic squares of the old town.
Next destination is Dubrovnik, one of the most significant monuments in the world, and one of Europe’s best preserved walled cities known since the 7th century. The old town is surrounded with a 2 km long wall that gives a great opportunity to see old Dubrovnik from above, during one-hour relaxing walk: city churches, fortification and monuments are a real must-see. Dubrovnik enchanted lots of famous persons to devote their pieces of art to the city, so in this city of marble and light colored stone you’ll find numerous art galleries and unique shops. In the historical center of Dubrovnik you will visit the Main Square Stradun, also called Placa, Pile Gate, Rector’s Palace, Sponza palace, Old Town Walls, the church of St. Blaise, the Cathedral, the Jesuit church, Orlando’s Column, Onofrio’s Large Fountain, the city port and other hidden gems. Hotel check-in and overnight.
Breakfast, free morning in Dubrovnik and check-out. Drive along beautiful Makarska coast with wonderful views over Croatian islands, wine & olive plantation and stone-made villages. Upon afternoon arrival in Split, the largest Dalmatian city, which was founded 1700 years ago and preserves enormously rich history, the sightseeing tour will start. Your guide will lead you through narrow streets of Diocletian’s Palace (UNESCO Heritage site), built in the 4th century by Roman Emperor, show perfectly preserved basement and former Temple of Jupiter in the central ancient Peristyle Square. Nowadays the Temple hosts city Cathedral, and this complex is one of the world’s oldest building of that kind. You’ll pass through Golden and Silver Gates and walk via noisy markets and Riva, shopping zone. Hotel check-in and overnight.
Sibenik – Plitvice National Park
Breakfast. In the morning enjoy charming Mediterranean atmosphere, relax yourself and take a coffee at the sea shore of Split. Later, drive towards Sibenik, city famous for its narrow curvy streets, stone-made houses, lots of stairs and remains of the city walls. Medieval old Venetian town of Sibenik will show you lots of monuments, among which St. James Cathedral (UNESCO protected monument), constructed by locals for hundreds of years, has a special place.
In the late afternoon arrive at world-famous destination – Plitvice National Park. In refreshing atmosphere you might relax and enjoy the dinner in hotel restaurant or in nearby local restaurant.
Plitvice – Zagreb
After breakfast, start exploring Plitvice Lakes, magnificent area that consists of 16 connected lakes terraces. On old maps it was named as “Devil’s Garden”, and it is a first sight in Balkans that got UNESCO World Heritage status. You will enjoy a 3-hour guided tour that includes a visit to Upper and Lower lakes and lets you contemplate untouched nature. Although swimming is forbidden here, you will see best places for relaxation in this green paradise.
Your final stop in this great Balkan tour is Croatian capital, Zagreb. This small gem of European culture and civilization is located in the heart of the continent. Sightseeing tour around Zagreb will show you all main Zagreb sights: Kaptol (the medieval part of Zagreb), the Franciscan Monastery and the Church of St. Francis from the 13th century. You’ll walk around farmer’s market called Dolac, and visit Baroque Church of St. Mary from the 18th century. The tour will end in the heart of Zagreb, at Ban Josip Jelacic’s monument on the square called after him.
Breakfast and hotel check-out. Depending of the time of departure, use your free time and explore Zagreb on your own. Transfer to the Airport. End of services.
- 2 BB in Belgrade in double room in Hotel Royal Inn 4* / Hotel Life Design 4* / Hotel Prag 4* or similar,
- 1 HB at Mokra Gora in double room in Hotel Mećavnik 4* or similar**,
- 1 BB in Sarajevo in double room in Hotel Holiday 4* / Hotel Bosnia 4* / Hotel Old Town 4* or similar,
- 1 BB in Trebinje in double room in Hotel Platani 4* / Hotel Central Park 4* / Hotel SL Industry 4* or similar,
- 1 BB in Dubrovnik in double room in Hotel Lapad 4* / Grand Hotel Park 4* / Hotel Uvala 4* or similar
- 1 BB in Split in double room in Hotel Globo 4*/ Hotel President 4*/ Hotel Art 4* or similar,
- 1 HB in Plitvice National Park in double room in Hotel Grabovac 3*/ Hotel Macola 3*or similar,***,
- 1 BB in Zagreb in double room in Hotel Dubrovnik 4*/ Hotel International 4*/ Hotel Palace 4*/ or similar,
- Airport arrival and departure transfers,
- All sightseeing tours and transfers that are written in this program, except those marked as optional tours,
- Entrance tickets to the Museum of Yugoslav history and Wooden Town
- Welcome dinner in Bohemian quarter – Skadarlija (Drinks not included),
- Ticket for the ride on Museum Train – Šargan eight****,
- Boat trip from Perast to the Island Our Lady of the Rock,
- 3 hours tour to Nature Park Plitvice Lakes: entrance tickets, boat ride and tram ride,
- Professional tour guidance throughout the tour,
- VAT, Accommodation taxes and City taxes in every country,
- Tour logistics and organization by licensed incoming agency.
- 1/1 Room supplement (on basic price): € 310 in Regular season; € 350 in High season.
- 1/3 Room reduction (per person on basic price): -60 €.
- Twin Room supplement (per person on basic price): €50 in Regular season, € 65 in High season.
- Child from 0 to 2 years old – FREE of charge.
- Child from 2 to 12 years old, in existing bed – 50% discount on basic price.
- Child from 2 to 12 years old, in extra bed – 1/3 Room Reduction Policy.
- Child from 12 years old and above – 1/3 Room Reduction Policy.
- Tour duration: 10 days.
- Tips and porterage services are not included in price.
- Final choice of the hotels depends on current availability. Tour organizer reserves the right to change the hotel due to availability reasons, but warrants the same category, service quality and similar location of the accommodation unit.
- ** Due to limited choice of accommodation units at Mokra Gora in case of unavailability in Hotel Mećavnik 4* the overnight will be organized at Zlatibor Mountain Resort in a 4* Hotel or Zlatibor Mountain Vila 4*.
- *** Due to limited choice of accommodation units at Plitvice, in case of unavailability in high season the overnight will be organized in closest nearby accommodation.
- Tour departures are guaranteed for 2+ persons.
- Tour organizer reserves the right to change the itinerary of the tour due to unexpected slow-moving traffic at international borders. These changes will not affect the basic itinerary.
- **** Due to the limited capacity of the Museum Train – Sargan eight, in case of unavailability, tickets will not be booked, and the customer will be refunded an amount of ticket price (10 €). After/before the booking, the agency may, by costumer’s request, within 48 hours, inform the customer whether the agency will reserve the requested tickets.
- Tour passengers’ responsibility is to get acquainted with visa requirements of all the countries they are travelling to or transit.
- General Travel Conditions issued on January 25, 2019 by “Tour Operator doo” and reconciled with YUTA standards are valid for this program.
If you or any member of your party wishes to cancel your tour, you should notify us or the travel agent you made the booking with, in written. If you cancel the tour we will then apply refund policy as defined below. Cancellation schedule will be applied starting the date of written notification receipt. The refund amounts shown represent a percentage of the total tour price.
For cancellation up to 60 days before departure – 100% refund.
For cancellation from 59 days till 46 days before departure – 90% refund.
For cancellation from 45 days till 31 days before departure – 80% refund.
For cancellation from 30 days till 16 days before departure – 70% refund.
For cancellation from 15 days till 8 days before departure – 50% refund.
For cancellation from 7 days till the day of departure – 0% refund.
Beside all standard reasons, the above stated cancellation policy will also apply if tour participant cancels the tour for a reason with medical grounds, visa issuance, jury service etc.