Kragujevac is economic, cultural, medical and political center of regions Šumadija and Pomoravlje. With more than 180.000 of citizens Kragujevac is the fourth city in Serbia. It is located om the center of Šumadija 140 km to the south from Belgrade via E10 highway and covers the territory of 835 km2, with 57 villages and 78 local communities. Average altitude of the city reaches 180 m. The city in situated on the banks of Lepenica River in the Kragujevac basin at the meeting point of three Serbian mountains: Rudnik, Crni Vrh and Gledić.
Numerous archaeological remains showed that Kragujevac territory has settlements even in Pre-historic era. First written proof of settlements was made by Turks in 1476-77 as Christian population left it when Ottomans invaded the territory.
First bloom of Kragujevac dates back to 1818 when it was proclaimed the capital of renewed Serbia. Its good geographical position and nationally homogeneous population (in contrast to Belgrade where Turks ruled) were the reason why Prince Miloš Obrenović chose Kragujevac to become governmental center.
Moving capital to Belgrade in 1841 was the starting point of stagnation of Kragujevac. But anyway Kragujevac stayed center of political life as important Assemblies of Serbia were held here all till 1878.