Studenica Monastery is one of the most valuable, biggest and important monasteries of Serbian Orthodox Church. This is the second Serbian monument that had the honor to be included into the list of UNESCO World Heritage in 1986. It is located in the “Valley of the Kings” between rivers Ibar and Raška where Serbian medieval state started.
Studenica was built in 1196 as endowment of Great Prince Stefan Nemanja, founder of independent Serbian state and ancestor of the dynasty that will rule in Serbia two full centuries. After his father’s death Saint Sava assumed responsibilities over Studenica that at that period became political, cultural and spiritual center of Serbian medieval state. Studenica’s importance and its preserved riches were the reason the Monastery was included into the „Rout of culture Transromanica“ – rout that binds European heritage of the Romanesque period.
The Monastery hosts 4 churches: Church of the Holy Virgin (Raška architecture style), Church of Joachim and Ana, Saint Nicholas Church and foundation of St. John the Baptist Church. Frescoes of the Monastery have depicted the development of Serbian medieval art and represent a masterpiece of Byzantine paintings from the beginning of the 13th century. Sacristy of Studenica keeps the ring of Stefan Nemanja, metal objects and other valuable relics.